Stan Binks Collection
A series of 23 paintings has been donated to the museum by the family of Stan Binks.
Stan Binks was a local artist, historian and all round collector. Born in 1924 Stan grew up in Loftus. During World War Two he served as a ‘Bevin Boy’, substituting for miners who were in the armed forces. After the war Stan completed two years of National Service with the Green Howards; he was attached to REME and based in Germany. Following his marriage in 1951, Stan moved to Skinningrove, and worked at Skinningrove Iron and Steel Works which had dominated the local landscape throughout his working life.
Stan even held the role of Chair for the local Skinningrove History Group. He spent his life researching the history of Skinningrove and East Cleveland compiling in depth memories and stories. Many of his paintings gifted to the museum date from the 1970s and 1980s and represent a changing time within Skinningrove.
Stan manages to capture daily life, people and places throughout the village. Here are just a few of the paintings donated to the museum.
White Cliff Cottages, Kilton Mill, Bells Pit
Hutton Street, Skinningrove Village
Sea Harvest, Jed’s Crab boiling Skinningrove Beach
Blue’s Z Royals in Skinningrove Square 1983